Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment – Depending on how much kombucha you wish to produce, the quantities may vary. I’ve included ingredients and equipment for both half-gallon and gallon quantities of kombucha. For the first batch, I used the 1/2 gallon measures, and for the second, I used the gallon measurements.1/2 gallon kombucha ingredients and equipment:
- 6 gallons water
- 1 cup liquid from previous kombucha batch OR scoby production
- 1/2 cup sugar (plain white sugar or raw sugar)
- 4 tea bags (green, black, white – nothing herbal or flavored)
- 64 oz/2 quart glass jar perfect for canning
1 gallon of kombucha materials and equipment:
- 13 cups liquid
- 2 cups of last batch’s kombucha liquid OR scoby production
- 1 cup sugar (plain white sugar or raw sugar)
- 8 tea bags (green, black, white – nothing herbal or flavored)
- 1 gallon glass jar, like this one
Keep in mind that herbal and flavored teas may be used to produce kombucha, but it requires more experimentation. Some herbal and flavored teas have been found to kill or weaken the scoby, thus I strongly advise beginning with unflavored, basic teas. tools:
- Big kettle for brewing tea
- I am utilizing many 12-16 oz glass bottles.
- one 12-16 ounce plastic container
- measuring cups
- The use of coffee filters
- hair tie or rubber band
- thermometer for measuring the temperature of tea
What is the tea-to-sugar ratio for kombucha?
Maintain the fundamental ratio of 1 cup of sugar, 8 tea bags, and 2 cups starting tea every gallon batch if you want to raise or reduce the quantity of kombucha you brew.
Use genuine tea leaves: When making kombucha, use pure black, green, white, or oolong tea. The nutrients found in the Camellia sinensis plant’s leaves will provide the most potent flavor and the greatest effect. You may even combine several tea leaves to create unique flavor profiles.
How can I make my kombucha fizzy?
Add Some Sugar/Fruit/Juice/Flavor – Sugar, please! Most yeast is stimulated by sugar, and yeast is responsible for the bubbles. Adding 1/2 teaspoon of pure sugar per 16-ounce bottle of Kombucha should increase the carbonation. Ginger has a powerful influence.
Who should never consume kombucha?
4. Dangerous for Certain Individuals – While kombucha is generally harmless, it can induce severe negative effects in certain individuals. Due to the fact that kombucha is unpasteurized and includes a variety of bacteria and yeasts, it might increase the growth of opportunistic microorganisms that can cause infections in certain individuals.
Those with compromised immune systems, such as those with cancer, renal illness, or HIV, might suffer severe consequences from consuming kombucha ( 20 ). Infrequently, serious allergic responses, acidosis, and liver problems have been linked to the ingestion of potentially tainted kombucha ( 21 ). Due to the fact that kombucha is unpasteurized and contains trace levels of caffeine and alcohol, pregnant and nursing women should also avoid it ( 22 ).
Women who are pregnant or nursing, as well as those with impaired immune systems, should avoid consuming kombucha.