Do not mistake weight ounces with volume ounces when measuring powdered sugar. Know exactly how much you are purchasing. Everyone is aware that one cup equals eight ounces, right? In actuality, when measuring components for a recipe, 1 cup does not necessarily correspond to 8 ounces.
- We know that 1 cup of water weighs 8 ounces, but because honey is more viscous than water, 1 cup of honey weighs 12 ounces.
- Powdered sugar directly from the box or plastic bag weighs 4 1/2 ounces per cup; therefore, a 1-pound box (or 16 ounces) provides approximately 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.
- If a recipe asks for powdered sugar, 4 ounces of powdered sugar will equal 1 dry measuring cup.
Powdered sugar becomes lighter and fluffier when sifted, so it occupies more space in the cup.
How many tablespoons of powdered sugar are in a cup of granulated sugar?
Need help? Proceed, Ask Betty. Asked on 6/12/2013 12:00:00 AM by bjerke420 Hi, Thank you for your inquiry. Granulated sugar that has been crushed into a fine powder becomes powdered sugar. Frequently, cornstarch is added to powdered sugar to keep it from clumping.
- Simply combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch into a fine powder to create powdered sugar from granulated sugar.1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar can be used for 1 cup of granulated sugar, but the recipe’s success relies on how the sugar is used.
- If it’s in a baked item, you should be fine, but if you’re making a sweet sauce, the starch in the powdered sugar may cause it to thicken too rapidly.
Kolson responded on 6/4/2013 at 12:00:00 AM
How many cups does 2 pounds of sugar equal?
A pound of granulated sugar contains cups.
|Pounds of Sugar||Cups (US)|
|1 lb||2.25 cups|
|2 lb||4.5 cups|
|5 lb||11.25 cups|
|10 lb||22.5 cups|